Your interest in knowing how to turn off antivirus on mac is not surprising to us because sometimes disabling antivirus on mac might be inevitable.
Yes, having an antivirus on your mac is very important but in a situation whereby the antivirus is stopping you from installing some important software or apps, what do you do?
You turn it off temporarily or permanently!
Well, it depends on you.
However, it is always safer to turn it off temporarily till the purpose of turning it off is accomplished.
In this article today, our tech team came up with some steps to guide you on how to turn off antivirus on mac.
All you need to do is sit back, relax your nerves, read to the end and follow instructions.
So let’s dive in;
How to Turn Off Antivirus on Mac
There are different types of antivirus available for mac and the ways to disable them might vary. So will be looking at how to turn off different types of antivirus on mac.
So let’s get started.
How to Turn Off Xprotect on Mac
Sometimes it is not the antivirus that is blocking you from installing your software.
The System Integrity Protection feature (Xprotect) can block certain user actions and certain applications that try to modify your system files.
Meanwhile, you can still disable this function as long as you agree to take the risk that your Mac is more vulnerable to certain dangers.
It should also be remembered that having access to and modifying certain files on the computer can present certain risks.
But if you believe that the applications that want to access your Mac’s system files are reliable, and if you understand the possible risks, then you are ready to turn off the Computer Protection feature.
So follow the steps below to turn off Xprotect on Mac;
- Step 1
Start by booting your Mac into Recovery Mode by simultaneously pressing the “Command” and “R” keys until you see the Apple logo or the icon of a rotating globe.
- Step 2
Once you have entered Recovery Mode, click on “Utilities” which is found in the menu bar, and then select “Terminal”.
- Step 3
Check whether System Integrity Protection is enabled or disabled, using the csrutil status command.
- Step 4
To disable System Integrity Protection, enter the csrutil disable command. And if you want to enable it, repeat the above steps and enter the csrutil enable command.
- Step 5
Once you have disabled the System Integrity Protection feature, go to the Apple menu and click “Restart”.
And there you go.
The steps to turn off the System Integrity Protection feature on Mac is easy, as is to turn it on.
However, in the interest and safety of your Mac, we strongly recommend that you keep this feature enabled.
How to Temporarily Disable Your Virus Scanner/Firewall Mac
The firewall helps protect your computer against unwanted intrusions by hackers, or malware that may be trying to compromise your system, and/or gain access to your personal information.
Sometimes can stop you from installing some software.
As such, you should think very carefully about whether or not it’s worth disabling that feature on your computer.
So follow the steps below to disable it;
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences
- Click on Security and Privacy
- Select the Firewall tab
- Unlock access to settings by entering your computer’s administrator username and password
- Click Enable / Disable Firewall.
- Repeat the above steps to enable/disable the firewall again
- You can also click on “Firewall Options” for more advanced settings, choosing which applications/connections you want to allow
- Click on the lock icon when finished
How to Turn Off Antivirus on Mac (General)
In this guide, you will learn how to disable any type of antivirus irrespective of the type it on your mac. So here is how it goes below;
- Turn on your Mac device and locate the spotlight search box.
- Type the name of the antivirus you want to turn off in the search box.
- Hit the search button for the antivirus icon to pop up.
- Once it pops up, click it.
- Navigate through the software and find where the to disable option is.
- Confirm your choice by hitting YES/NO
Another approach to the above is as shown below;
- Go to your Mac Menu Bar and locate the antivirus icon.
- Right-click on the icon and a drop-down menu will appear.
- You should see the disable or stop function.
- Confirm your choice hitting YES/NO
The solution to ‘Allow Chrome to Access Network in Firewall or Antivirus’ ERROR MESSAGE
Instead of searching for how to disable chrome antivirus 2021, it is a better option to find the solution to the error message “Allow chrome to access the network in the firewall or antivirus settings.”
However, this problem is common with Windows 10 users.
Here we will see how you can whitelist Chrome for your antivirus software as well as Windows Firewall.
- Press Windows + S, type “firewall” in the dialog box, and open the app.
- Once in the settings, click on “Allow an application or a function through the firewall of Defender “.
- All the applications installed on your computer will be listed there with their status, whether or not they are blocked. Make sure Google Chrome is checked.
You can allow Chrome to access the network in the firewall or antivirus settings. You can also temporarily disable it if you have trouble adding the exception.
I believe you now understand how to disable antivirus on mac. All that is left for you is to select the antivirus you want to disable and follow the instructions.
Meanwhile, we discovered that you are not the only one in need of this article because there are a lot of people searching for how to turn off antivirus on mac. So all you need to do is to make use of the social share buttons to get to them.
Also, don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comment section below. All other tips related to this topic are also welcomed in the comment section.